Sky Unveils More New Channels
BSkyB has revealed more details about the new channels it plans to launch in the autumn. Sky 2, Sky Sports 3, WBTV and The Weather Channel will join new channels produced by Granada *(Newsline 05/06). The eleven new channels will begin broadcasting between 16 August and 1 November.
- Sky 2 will be an entertainment channel to complement Sky One. Launching on Sunday 1 September, Sky 2 will bring diverse programming from both sides of the Atlantic, including Tales From the Crypt, Melrose Place and Late Night With David Letterman.
- Sky Sports 3 will be devoted to sport, offering a wider range of events and greater depth of coverage. The channel will broadcast twelve hours per day, seven days per week, beginning on Friday 16 August. Regular live programming includes the Nationwide Football League, Coca-Cola Cup and US PGA Tour Golf.
- WBTV, The Warner Channel, launches on 1 November *(Newsline 20/06). Drawing on the resources of Warner Bros, WBTV programming aims to appeal to all ages, featuring Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and Batman: The Animated Series as well as drama series, comedy and classic animation with Loony Toons characters.
- The Weather Channel *(Newsline 15/04) starts on 1 September and will provide comprehensive coverage of the weather. It will broadcast seven days a week from 6am to 11am and will also feature documentary and educational programmes.
These details coincide with figures released by the IPA which show that the non-terrestrial share of television viewing is increasing where some terrestrial channels are facing a decrease *(see today's Newsline). A rise in BSkyB's subscription fee is expected however to accompany the launch of these new channels
* MediaTel subscribers only
BSkyB: 0171 705 3000