03 Mar 2021
With BBC Three set to find itself back on our TV screens, broadcast consultant Stephen Arnell evaluates the challenges the channel will face.
03 Sep 2020
Broadcast consultant Stephen Arnell worries that Channel 4 has struck the wrong chord with its plans for a Black Takeover Day
27 Jul 2020
Stephen Arnell, a former editorial consultant on BritBox, evaluates whether the streaming service's new slate of original shows will be enough to cut through an overcrowded SVOD marketplace.
18 May 2020
Stephen Arnell examines two important media news stories, both of which have a pandemic connection.
Rather than giving the ubiquitous chef yet another gig, the broadcaster could have made a much stronger connection with financially anxious viewers, writes Stephen Arnell.
05 Mar 2020 |
The original Spitting Image was very much 'water cooler TV' with audiences of 15m. With only an estimated few hundred thousand subscribers, there's no way it can perform this feat for BritBox.
21 Feb 2020
The top job at the Beeb can only go to a masochist in search of full-time flagellation, writes Stephen Arnell. So who is likely to throw their hat in the ring?
07 Feb 2020
Can the Corporation, in its current form, survive an emboldened Conservative government? It's not looking good, writes Stephen Arnell.
02 Oct 2019
Depending on age, sex and race, it is strange how the BBC's Executive Complaints Unit seems to apply its rules differently between its news presenters, writes Stephen Arnell.
06 Jun 2019
Stephen Arnell debates whether the BBC dropped the ball in co-producing Good Omens with Amazon Prime.
Mediatel News bulletinsMore info
Receive weekly round-ups of the latest comment, opinion and media news, direct to your inbox.
The Media Leaders Awards 2021: Highlights
Latest Data Analysis
- February ABCs: a steadier month
- Five key takeouts from the latest consumer ABCs
- Consumer ABCs: Men's Lifestyle
- Consumer ABCs: Women's Weeklies
- Consumer ABCs: Women's Lifestyle
- TV market round-up: November 2019
- TV market round-up: October 2019
- TV market round-up: September 2019
- TV market round-up: August 2019
- TV market round-up: July 2019
- Rajar Q1 2020: Analysis
- Rajar Q1 2020: Digital
- Rajar Q1 2020: Breakfast markets
- Rajar Q1 2020: National stations and networks
- Rajar Q4 2019: National stations and networks