Torin left BBC News in June 2013 after 24 years as its media correspondent - and 40 years reporting and analysing media issues for the business press and broadcasters. A popular public speaker, writer and event chair, Torin is also director of the Chiswick Book Festival and was awarded the MBE in the 2013 New Year Honours for services to the community in Chiswick.
British radio has always triumphed during times of national crisis, writes Torin Douglas - and all the evidence proves it is working just as well today.
20 Dec 2016
It started with Murdoch and it ended with Murdoch. In the last of 12 parts, Torin Douglas rounds off what was undoubtedly a defining year for the media industry.
29 Nov 2016
30 years ago commercial radio was finally starting to prosper. Torin Douglas explains how a pivotal year changed the airwaves forever.
28 Oct 2016
30 years ago, competition was heating up in the UK magazine market. Here, Torin Douglas charts the history of some of the titles that are still going strong today.
29 Sep 2016
Thirty years ago this month the UK media industry was getting excited about the launch of the Independent - and plans for a host of other new newspapers, writes Torin Douglas
30 Aug 2016
Torin Douglas charts the rise of the independents - from 1986's cottage industry to the unstoppable super indies of today
28 Jul 2016
Thirty years ago this month, the Tory leader had the BBC firmly in her sights. Torin Douglas charts a battle that still rages on today.
24 Jun 2016
As history proves, rows between the Government and the Corporation are nothing new, writes Torin Douglas
24 May 2016
Thirty years ago this month Channel 4 was part of a fascinating and often hilarious TV viewing experiment. This is vintage Gogglebox, writes Torin Douglas
27 Apr 2016
Paris, 1986, and Torin Douglas witnesses a media industry gripped by great change - as well as a colossal 626-page newspaper
Data from Mediatel Connected
Find out more about the UK's most comprehensive aggregator of media data.
Mediatel News bulletins
Receive weekly round-ups of the latest comment, opinion and media news, direct to your inbox.More Info
Latest Data Analysis
- PAMCo: National newsbrand readership surged in run up to Covid-19
- PAMCo: magazine readership patterns reshaped by Covid-19
- March ABCs: The final pre-lockdown figures
- February ABCs: Circulation dips across all titles
- PAMCo: The Times leads strong newsbrand growth
- TV market round-up: November 2019
- TV market round-up: October 2019
- TV market round-up: September 2019
- TV market round-up: August 2019
- TV market round-up: July 2019
- Rajar Q1 2020: Analysis
- Rajar Q1 2020: Digital
- Rajar Q1 2020: Breakfast markets
- Rajar Q1 2020: National stations and networks
- Rajar Q4 2019: National stations and networks