06 Apr 2020
No matter how unpromising the circumstances, opportunities abound for those with imagination and courage, writes Route's James Whitmore
17 Apr 2018
As out-of-home embraces more video, Route's James Whitmore examines the impact for both consumers and the ad industry.
14 Dec 2017
In the length of a single opinion column, James Whitmore shares an idea that could transform your business.
31 Oct 2017
James Whitmore recalls the sexual politics that existed in agencies throughout the 90s - and how a laddish culture seeded a disturbing view of how women could be treated.
Why are people working in media and advertising choosing to discard centuries of understanding in an attempt to get with the kids, asks Route's James Whitmore.
11 Oct 2016
Route, the audience research body for out-of-home advertising, has commissioned an expanded and renewed six-year research project worth £20m. James Whitmore explains what happens next.
29 Mar 2016
The approach to communications has remained pretty much unchanged for a lot longer than we realise, even if most of the detail is different, writes James Whitmore.
23 Nov 2015
While most likely considered a hindrance for the general population, the increase in the average time it takes to get to work is great news for mobile and out-of-home, writes Route's James Whitmore.
27 Jul 2015
What is the effect of too much advertising, or poorly targeted messages, asks Route's James Whitmore - but first, let's try and work out how much advertising there actually is.
Mary Meeker's annual report into time spent with media discards out-of-home on the grounds it is impossible to calculate. So what happened when Route - the UK OOH survey that equips 30,000 people with GPS trackers - had a crack?
Data from Mediatel Connected
Find out more about the UK's most comprehensive aggregator of media data.
Mediatel News bulletins
Receive weekly round-ups of the latest comment, opinion and media news, direct to your inbox.More Info
Latest Data Analysis
- October ABCs: FT and Observer buck the trend as circulations drop
- September ABCs: newsbrand circulations begin slow recovery
- August ABCs: Newsbrand circulations plummet post-lockdown
- Five key takeouts from the latest PAMCo release for newsbrands
- Five things you need to know from the latest PAMCo release for magazines
- TV market round-up: November 2019
- TV market round-up: October 2019
- TV market round-up: September 2019
- TV market round-up: August 2019
- TV market round-up: July 2019
- Rajar Q1 2020: Analysis
- Rajar Q1 2020: Digital
- Rajar Q1 2020: Breakfast markets
- Rajar Q1 2020: National stations and networks
- Rajar Q4 2019: National stations and networks